Monday, February 06, 2012

A most enjoyable place...pottery, fiber, and art....

We have been passing this treasure for years and years and never stopped in. In fact, we looked at it, and didn't know it was there.  When I saw that Salley Mavor's work would be featured, we were able to make it up there to see the show. The Brattleboro Museum and Art Center is just a wonderful place!

The large pottery pieces outdoors are part of the sculpture gardens' "Monumental Vessels" by Stephen Proctor.  If you click on his name you can many more examples of his work.


 Located in an old train depot, were pleasantly surprised to see so much wonderful work in such a little jewel box of a gallery!  Please forgive some of my photography. I followed the "no flash" policy and therefore some of them are grainy.


Salley Mavor's work is in what must have been a ticket office.  What a wonderful spot, filled with light.  If you click on my link you can see where other exhibitions will be.   Salley's impeccable work is even more wonderful in person than through photos.



This is what you see 
 when you first enter the museum...




The fiber art is by Tim Seger.

Onward to the work that took away my breath by artist Cathy Osman.  These large and wondrous collages of paint, sewing patterns, and paper resonate with me on a deep level.




The pottery installations were superb...including the pottery installed on the ceiling in a hallway.





I could not resist taking a photo of the sink in the restroom...I would love a sink like this!


There was another very special exhibit which I will show you in another post...children's art and how glass makers interpreted it.

On different note, we are enjoying spring weather in early February in Southern New England.  It's strange... but wonderful weather. I hope winter is treating you well, though I know that is brutal in Europe right now.


As always,

Enjoy the day!





3 comments:

l.wilks11 said...

Wow !! What a little gem and to think that you have only just found it. Love all the artists work especially the fiber art by Tim Seger.
Lucky you with the weather, we are all snowed in her in Essex England......xx

April said...

OH YOU LUCKY!!! To see Salley Mavor's work IN PERSON!!! Love the Train Station setting!!!

Beth said...

What a delightful find, Helen. And to see Salley Mavor's work in person; I'm so envious!

Beth