Monday, October 18, 2010

Acorns and haycorns and thingz...


Anyone who has read the original
Winnie the Pooh, knows about "haycorns." Since I was a very young child, I cannot look at an acorn without thinking of Piglet and Tigger. This is my favorite book of all time with its wonderful line drawings by E. H. Shepard. We are not talking about that cartoon movie stuff here...but the original Pooh book.



We found these huge acorns/haycorns while hiking. Our grands were helping us pick some off the ground. Our grandson found a branch with five acorn caps on it in a cluster. I never knew that many could grow in a cluster. Did you?

Other example of multiple clusters are in the photo. These caps are large...some are the size of a quarter.


There are several things one can do with acorn caps. One of the most fun things is to make a Salley Mavor Fairy. Here is one I made many years ago from her book Felt Wee Folk.
Salley has a wonderful blog that I follow and you should, too!



I am using them in other projects at the moment. No doubt you have seen the needle felted acorns that seem to be everywhere on the net these days. Here is a sneak peek of one of my projects.



The weekend flew by and today I am off to doll club. Looks like a busy week ahead. How is your week forming? Are you working on or doing anything special? Hope your weekend was good..and this week even better!

As always,


enjoy the day!

7 comments:

Flutterby Patch said...

I have one of the Wee Folk books and love it to bits. I envy your giant 'haycorns', very few this year in our area....can't think why.

Beth said...

Salley's book is one of my all time favorite doll making books :-) The summer I purchased it I made a zillion of these wonderful little dolls, and scoured our parks for acorn caps for days. We are so lucky to live in an area that has an abundance of oak trees...I can't imagine living in a place that doesn't.

Beth

Kim said...

Ohh your Haycorn looks as if its going to be intersting..never thought about felting around one!! off to play Pooh sticks :)

cookievf said...

Hello Helen!
We "met" when you left a note on my Puppy Mills post last fall! It was the NICEST comment! I live near bulls bridge, if that helps to jog your memory... and am into mixed media collage. well, not sure how long it's been since I dropped in but.. I'm back to see what you've been up to.

Love the felted acorn ~ haven't seen one before! It's precious!

Hope you are well,
- vicki

cookievf said...

P.S. your fairy is a TREASURE!!

April said...

I have been looking for haycorns here Everyday! We have two great oaks in our front yard and woods nearby!
I'm with everyone else- LOVE SALLEY MAVOR and her acorn fairies! Have you seen her illustrated children's books? They are incredibly beautiful- all the detail!!!
OOOUUUHHHHHH- CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR SURPRISE!!!!!!

AngelMc said...

I went to college at "The W" and there was this acorn tree in the front of my dorm that produced giant acorns. I have never see any like that since.
I'm going to check out Salley Mavor.
Hope you are having a great week.
Wish there was a doll club close by to where I live...so please post pictures...