Thursday, August 21, 2008






Hancock Shaker Village, more of the weekend...

As we traveled last weekend, we stopped at one of our favorite places: Hancock Shaker Village in Hancock, MA. I have many more photos of the wonderful environment here. It is also known as "The City of Peace" and it lives up to its name. As we wandered around the grounds and visited the houses, it was like being transported back into a rustic, quiet time.

We recently bought a niddy-noddy at auction. One of the volunteers gave me a demo on how to use one. I am not a spinner or knitter, so I didn't know that skeins of yard are wound on these and/or folding swifts. We believe that our own niddy-noddy is Shaker made.

The round barn is worth the trip alone. The Shaker innovations are used to this very day. Our own home is filled with Shaker influences and furniture My husband (a talented wood worker) has put in solid cherry Shaker paneling and other touches--a thirty year project.

The week is flying by again. One could wonder if this "doll maker who paints" is making dolls or painting. I am doing some of both but am involved in other stuff, too. We have wonderful autumn-like weather which is invigorating after two months of heat and humidity.

I want to say thank you to all of the people who sign my blog and also for e-mails I receive about things that I post. I am never sure when or where to thank readers. But, without readers, it would like giving a party and nobody attending! So, thank you for reading.

Enjoy your day.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

So what are you going to do with the niddy-noddy?
Beautiful Shaker things.. I love the simplicity of it all.