Monday, November 15, 2010

'Tis the season...


'Tis the season...to make ornaments.

Ever since childhood I have made holiday ornaments. Not only that, I have made and sold literally hundreds over my lifetime...and I have probably bought just as many hand crafted.

Cotton batting and spun cotton ornaments have always fascinated me. I seek them out at shows and galleries but cannot spend the money on the old ones. Even a very tattered one starts around forty dollars or so. The ones I like go really high, of course!

This past year I have been studying and making various cotton ornaments. I learned the difference between ornaments that are made from batting, spun cotton, and molded/pressed ornaments. They are often confused and I like all three types. Here are some combined batting and spun cotton.


Today I am teaching the batting ornament below to about 25 doll club members. Feel free to try it yourself. Click on the photo to make it bigger. The cotton batting can be purchased at any fabric store. Pipe cleaners, glitter, and glue are easy to find. I printed the face off a copyright free illustration I had--but you can buy stickers or use German die cuts faces often called Victorian scrap. The pipe cleaners are 12 inches and folded in half. Use your imagination. Wrap and glue to your heart's content. It is fun!



Since many of the members are not crafty and we have a limited amount of time, I made up these kits for them. I found vintage decorations for the angels to hold in their hands.




Christmas is 4o days away! In our area, some people have already decorated. Since we can get snow at any time, it makes sense to put the lights up now. Is it too soon to celebrate and enjoy? I used to think so but now I like it. If only the good will and kindness could continue throughout the year!

Hopefully, some of the hatred that seems to be floating these days will diminish as the holidays approach. Whether you celebrate a secular Christmas, a religious Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or don't celebrate at all, it really is the season and a reason for peace on earth and good will toward humanity.


As always,

enjoy the day!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

These will work perfectly on my Victorian inspired tree. I can see making them with Grandsweetie #1. Thanks for sharing the how-to.

peggy gatto said...

They are just charming!!!
You have given me a great idea and instructions, thank you!!!

April said...

LOVE LOVE your Cotton Ornaments! I cannot wait to make these with my Craft Girls!!! So sweet of you to share..an early Christmas gift for us all!!!!

Vintage Fairy Tales Rebecka said...

Dear Helen!

I have had these ornament on my list for upcoming projects for such a long time!
I love these spunned cotton characters and I´m a big fan of the work that vintagebychrystal.etsy.com
is doing.
Have you seen her work?
I just don´t know where to get the spunned cotton.
Have a great day