Thursday, April 02, 2009

Painting bunnies...

This past week as I was painting, I contemplated all things economic as I listened to the news on satellite radio. It soon became evident that I needed to refresh my vocabulary. Certain buzz words needed revisiting: derivatives, hedge funds, short selling, mortgage backed securities.

I thought I had a good working vocabulary but I wanted to know how this financial terminology was adapted to the dismal current domestic and world economy. So, I searched out various definitions in financial glossaries and cut and pasted them into my own financial mini-dictionary.

I probably should have left well enough alone. "Ignorance is bliss" and people are quite blissful when they discuss the economy. As a follower of politic and finance, I have to say ...it is easier to paint bunnies than have an intelligent conversation on this subject.

"Painting bunnies" is my new euphemism for tuning out when I hear totally unresearched opinion or statements on the airwaves or falling out of the mouths of the blissful. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand the most basic terms but there seems to be an abundance of bloviating floating about. Even if I cannot paint bunnies on the spot, I can paint them in my head!

Back to painting bunnies here...enjoy the day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Helen,
I like the Euphemism "painting Bunnies" better than "the domestic and world economy ...bla bla bla", its a hippity hoppin' wild world out there. I always remember the old saying, " opinions are like...beep" most of the time the 'lingo' changes so fast i can't keep up...so i'm keepin' my beep to myself, until i refresh my vocabulary, which probably will not happen soon. hehe I do wish i knew more about the whole process but find it impossible to follow as there are way to many chefs in the kitchen...? UGH! Which makes me think of the paintings of the 1700's-1800's where they painted 'facts' into the paintings. Those are amazing to me... omg a political bunny, nah i think thats been done...hehe Thanks for letting me talk 'painting bunnies' with you.
Those are some sweet bunnies, and your puppies portrait is darling, also. I recently picked up my paint brush again, i am loving it!!! I hope you have a wonderful day, Helen.
Many Hugs,
Jackie

tangobaby said...

Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. If I had your email addy, I'd send you a note.

And I agree about painting bunnies. There are some things that just boggle the mind and are better left misunderstood. I find all of that financial stuff somewhat akin to astrology.