Monday, March 30, 2009

One picket at a time.....

My husband is building a new picket fence...once picket at a time.

So, our basement is filled with pickets that he has cut and primed. He actually has a few hundred more to go. I admire him for this because this is the way to get things done.

The pickets are not the same as the beautiful box he recently made for me out of exotic woods.

Nor are the pickets like the reproduction Singer Featherweight table he made for one of my Singer Featherweights.


The pickets are not like the tiger maple that went in the contemporary table for my white Featherweight that he made from my design.


Yet all these things have one thing in common...they were made one piece at a time.

I was thinking a lot about this when I was in the basement doing laundry. In a world where things are often shoddy, disposable and made in haste, it is good to know there are people who still use the principle...one picket at a time.

Slow down...and enjoy the day!

No comments: