Thursday, May 29, 2008


Windsocks, blue ceilings and serendipitous violas....

For years and years, I have used wind socks to decorate. The past few years they have been harder and harder to find as lawn flags on stakes, spinners and other kinetic lawn ornaments are more popular.

I did find this one a few weeks ago and is blowing in the breeze as I write. The Chinese used wind socks to attract good luck. The Japanese used them to announce there was a boy in the home and later added the custom when girls were born, too. The very first wind sock I owned several decades ago was silk and from Japan.

You can see a little bit of the blue ceiling on the porch. In New England, many paint the ceilings of their porches blue. I have heard that it started as a way to keep insects away. (It works.) I have also heard that it wards away bad luck. (Seems to.)

As I walking back from the post office, I found a large group of violas growing out of the cracks in a side walk. It just goes to show you how nature prevails and there is beauty everywhere. Don't worry--I left all of them behind but this one stem so that they will go to seed and maybe pop up and brighten more spots next year.


It won't be long and it will be summer. Enjoy your day and the promise of spring.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

So interesting about the wind socks. And love those violas :)

Lena said...

We used to fly a carp windsock from our garage. We did that for many years, until it wore out. I should someday replace it, I think.

I like your Uncle Sam, and the violas look so pretty displayed like that!