Thursday, May 01, 2008


Paper Clay Shoulder Plate Doll

This doll has always been difficult to photograph. I made her many years ago with a paper clay shoulder plate, arms and legs. If she seems somewhat familiar looking, it because this doll's instructions were in the book Dollmaking with Papier Mache and Paper Clay by Doris Gotilly, 1998. The basic pattern and technique calls for using a Styrofoam ball for the base for the head. The instructions in the book are excellent with lots of photos. Variations of this doll pattern appear on eBay and other places quite frequently. I made this doll in 2001 and she has been in Picture Trail albums ever since but the photos there are not very good.

This particular doll is shiny because I coated her with a synthetic varnish that dries to a durable, hard finish. She has not yellowed, aged, or cracked over time. When I try to photograph her, I have to be careful of the shiny reflections that bounce off her head. She never really looks as nice as she really is due to the angle I use to avoid bounce from the flash.

She was beautifully dressed by Eileen of Eileen's Attic. Notice those wonderful buttons that match the fabric in her skirt. She is 18 inches tall and I weighted her bottom, so she sits nicely. (She decided to stand for the photo and show off her skirt which is a luxurious pin wale corduroy that almost feels like velvet.)

The dolls in my collection are in the process of being moved around and as I take them out of their dwelling places, I am taking new photographs. I may post some here as I go along.

Enjoy your day!

3 comments:

Christine LeFever said...

She is a lovely doll. I saw this earlier today, and did not yet have a moment in which to leave a comment until now. When you weight the bottoms of dolls, do you attach the legs only to the front?

Christine

DollZandThingZ said...

Thank you! Yes, the legs were attached to the front seam of the bottom of torso. (I had to go look it has been so long since I made her.)

But, it works with any torso and leg design if you put the weighted material into a fabric bag first and then insert into the torso and place stuffing around it. If necessary, one can do this from a side seam if the leg design doesn't lend it self to being attached in the front.

Lena said...

I've enjoyed my visit to your site very much. It's very beautiful in your part of the world.

I love handmade dolls and this one is especially lovely.

Thank you for your kind welcome back.