Thursday, April 24, 2008


Those dear felt magnet/ornaments....

I thought it would be fun to show some close-ups of the ornaments I found at auction. They do have some age on them. It is funny how we like to buy new things that have been aged with tea or paint, but shy away from real things with real age on them. We don't always value natural aging, but trend towards reproductions made to look old.

I do value older things more than reproductions, so I am entranced with the work in these vintage magnets and/or ornaments. The day after I won them, I saw a handful of the same ones on eBay. There were five magnets from the same patterns and the price exceeded what I paid of the lot of nearly fifty. Someone else must have found them as charming as I do!

As I look at them, I try to imagine applying the sequins, sewing the beads, and who they were made by and for. They are most likely from the 60's or 70's. The owl was an icon in the early 70's. Maybe they were a kit by Bucilla or some other needlework company. I guess I am truly entranced because it is the kind of project I did as a child or teenager when life was far simpler and I first started giving hand made gifts to people.

Nostalgia dates oneself...and I just dated me!

Enjoy your day!

No comments: