Friday, March 28, 2008



A wise old owl lived in an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?

A friend and I were talking about this nursery rhyme this morning. She is a few years younger than I, but she also knew the verse. It was a fave of my mother and grandmother. My friend said that her mom had said it, too.

We were thinking about how kids today probably don't hear these little rhymes like we did. I remember memorizing poetry in elementary school right through high school.

It is true that these little rhymes are probably very dated or could be considered cliches. On the other hand, there is a kernel of truth in these little allegories. I always loved Aesop's Fables and Poor Richard's Almanac.

In a "sound bite" culture, I would think that these sayings could once again be popular. They are short and sweet and to the point!

On another note, the owl above was a metaphor for being quiet and listening. I don't see a lot evidence of that kind of behavior anywhere nowadays--not even in a movie theater. Maybe we all need to listen more, react less, and think before we speak. Who knows?

Enjoy your day...and listen if you can.

No comments: